Saturday, February 16, 2008

Drugs vs Therapy

I have done a lot of research on the internet about getting a better sleep. Today I just came across this blog post on the NY Times site which includes some interesting links about studies showing how cognitive behavioral therapy in some cases was as helpful as a drug.

These articles speak about how such therapy is just effective at getting you to fall asleep as medication. That is all well and good but what about someone such as myself that falls asleep, wakes up, gets back to sleep, wakes up etc multiple times during the night?

This other article I found that was a link on the above noted NY Times blog post, talks about sleep medication specfically. Again the focus is on how soon the person falls asleep and when they get out of bed the next day, missing the issue of STAYING asleep during the night. The article does make good note about the concerns about medication as well, which are very important.

I would love to have a full night's sleep based solely on good sleep hygiene but it is just not that simple for me (and I imagine I am not alone) so something that helps me stay asleep during the night is what I need.

No comments: