Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Wow, this is scary...

Apparently physicians are not getting enough sleep, according to this recent article from Science Daily. I have always wondered how wise it was to have someone performing such critical tasks for the health and well-being of our loved ones to be pushed to the limits like I understand still happens. I am not a doctor or even in the medical field and I am sure there are many reasons this is done, but I wonder if those reasons outweigh the risks they pose?

I found it quite interesting to read how those practices during their intense training and actual practice may desensitize those same doctors to the importance of sleep. How ironic as I am one of so many who have sought assistance from a doctor for sleep problems (and have no complaints about the help I have received to date I should note).

It is curious that the article notes the "chronic low-level sleep deprivation" experienced by physicians greatly reduces their complaints of insomnia and notes that few indicated this problem affects their work performance and where more indicated an impact in their family life. Family life, for the health of these same doctors, should be just as important as for the rest of us.

I wonder if, in a world where we (rightly in my opinion) limit the number of hours a truck driver, pilot and other such hardworking people can work in a row for safety reasons, society should look at the same concerns for the medical profession? I am fully aware that my effectiveness and performance is impacted when I feel tired and I do not even have a job where the health and well-being of a fellow human being relies on my performance.

No comments: